Friday, May 25, 2012

Is knowing all?


The other day, I was hanging out with a friend, enjoying road side pani puri. When we asked the vendor for water to wash our hands, he gave paper napkins and said," Madam water ka shortage hai, water costly, napkin cheap".

I was mildly taken aback. Does this fellow realise that what it takes to make make those paper napkins?
Does he know that substituting water with paper is going to make water still more costly? Man, one has to cut down trees to make paper, and that means deforestation which leads to less rain and hence lesser water!

But why am I expecting that poor illiterate to know all this geography and ecological science when I myself know all this but still use at least 10 paper napkins a day...

It is all about self realisation. Despite knowing everything, I act careless, indifferent. 
How does being knowledgeable help?

I do not mean to question anyone's responsibility but my own. 

1 comment:

  1. Cudn't agree more... Esp. I hate it when corporate say theirs is an eco friendly office and use loads of napkins per day... same is substituting toilet paper for water outside India and claiming to save the planet as water is saved...

    So hollow the world is...

    ReplyDelete